xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: [ANN] XInclude processor for xml-commons
Date Tue, 06 May 2003 20:48:07 GMT
Neil Graham wrote:
> I think my question revolved around Joerg's assertion that the spec thinks
> of XInclude processing being done before validation.

Sorry, I wrote
 >>> The REC itself is deliberately neutral.
XInclude is defined in terms of "merging infosets", and it is briefly
and non-normatively) discussed what this could mean if validation
occurred before or afterwards.

I personally see there are use cases for either case:
1. XInclude as a substitute for external entities for physically
   structuring documents. This is useful if the document should
   be validated against a schema, where entities are not organically
   available. Naturally, the post-XInclude infoset has to be
   validated.
2. Validation before XInclude. This could in turn mean the including
   document is validated, or the included documents, all documents
   or arbitrary combinations. This use case happens for formats which
   are meant to aggregate content, for example imagine a portal where
   you aggregate vastly different content, like an article, stock
   quotes and ad streams. While each of the aggregated content may
   have an attached schema and therefore may be easy to vgalidate,
   the aggregated content may prove more diffucult in this respect
   (imagine if they use different schema languages).

Therefore parsers with an integrated XInclude stage (before validation)
are useful (remember libxml), but standalone XInclude processors make
sense as well.

J.Pietschmann