xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Neil Graham" <ne...@ca.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [ANN] XInclude processor for xml-commons
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2003 14:23:42 GMT
Hi Joerg,

> IMO it's called for a more modular architecture: have a parser, an
> XInclude processor, a validator, an PSVI constructor,

Which is, of course, the whole point of XNI--not to mention that Xerces
provides all these components--except for the XInclude processor.  :)

> so I'd think as a parser feature XInclude has to be happen before
> validation. If someone wants to validate before XInclude, he can add
> a separate XInclude processor at a later stage.

[...]

> Let's stick with SAX, we have
> a formal documentation about the API and how it's supposed to work.

In your original post, you'd mentioned that you'd implemented this as a
"SAX filter"; did you mean that it's an XMLFilter implementation?  If so,
and you're using a standard XMLReader implementation of some sort, then how
do you do XInclude processing before validation?

> And I don't think a small project should start with designing a
> PSVI pipelining API. Let's wait for DOM3, if it ever makes it into
> software without causing a global network meltdown.

I don't believe the DOM WG has any plans to attempt to develop a full PSVI
API at this stage.

> BTW the XInclude spec is one of the more sick of the canon.

:)  Oh well; such is life.

Again, I'm not saying that Xerces is the only possible home for such a
project--just want to make sure that what's done makes sense for as wide a
user-base as possible.

Cheers!
Neil
Neil Graham