xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ANN] XInclude processor for xml-commons
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2003 16:36:44 GMT

Neil Graham wrote, On 29/04/2003 16.23:
> Hi Joerg,
>>IMO it's called for a more modular architecture: have a parser, an
>>XInclude processor, a validator, an PSVI constructor,
> Which is, of course, the whole point of XNI--not to mention that Xerces
> provides all these components--except for the XInclude processor.  :)
>>so I'd think as a parser feature XInclude has to be happen before
>>validation. If someone wants to validate before XInclude, he can add
>>a separate XInclude processor at a later stage.
> [...]
>>Let's stick with SAX, we have
>>a formal documentation about the API and how it's supposed to work.
> In your original post, you'd mentioned that you'd implemented this as a
> "SAX filter"; did you mean that it's an XMLFilter implementation?  If so,
> and you're using a standard XMLReader implementation of some sort, then how
> do you do XInclude processing before validation?

Ooooh, opening a can of worms ;-)

Yes having used XInclude I can solemly state that XInclude has to occur
before validation. The question is: should a parser validate? ;-)

The fact is that Processors like Cocoon will always have other methods
to use before a validation, so what we (Cocoon) need is instead a
validating transformer, or something like that.

Not that I'm defining solutions, just that Xerces is monolithic seen
from a SAX-adhering processor world.

> Again, I'm not saying that Xerces is the only possible home for such a
> project--just want to make sure that what's done makes sense for as wide a
> user-base as possible.

I think that loads of project would use a standalone version of
XInclude. Shall it be SAX? Shall it be XNI?

Dumb proposal: why not a XNI2SAX Filter that uses an XNI processor for
SAX? I'm surely missing something here, what is it?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -