xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru/CAM/Lotus <shane_curc...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: New resolver all checked in
Date Wed, 18 Dec 2002 15:09:13 GMT
Norm - although the forrestized docs aren't fully complete yet, we could
have another public resolver release whenever you're ready.  Plenty of
people should have had a chance to test this by now.

----- you Brian Smith <brian-l-smith@uiowa.edu> wrote -----
> (a) the library defaults to logging things to the system console, and so

> at least one message ("Cannot find CatalogManager.properties") will be
> printed to the system console no matter what, unless a system property
> is set. IMO, the defaults for the resolver library should allow a client

> to use the resolver without setting any system properties and without
> getting any output to System.err/System.out.

In principle I agree with the above statements; I'd like to see the
default behavior for System.err/out logging to be quiet unless someone
requests verbose (or debug, I forget).  So the default should be to not
log to the console at all unless a horribly bad exception needs to be
thrown.

> (b) The resolver library does not have any special support for resolving

> the public ID for the DTD for XML catalogs. Thus, if you don't put that
> DTD in your local personal system-wide catalog, the catalog resolver
> will attempt to retrieve the DTD from the OASIS website. Again, it is
> seems very difficult to override this in a client application. Probably
> the resolver library should include the OASIS XML Catalog DTD inside its

> own JAR file and resolve this public ID specially.

Here I'm not so sure.  I'd defer to a larger array of cataloging experts:
in particular, does this DTD at OASIS change ever/frequently?  If so, we
might not want to put it in the resolver.jar because it could get out of
date.  If this is the case, it would be a 'wrong answer' problem if an
unsuspecting user wanted to get the latest DTD but was using a backlevel
version of the resolver.
(Pardon my ignorance if I'm making no sense or if this DTD never changes;
in that case, if it's a very common DTD, then I'd be happy to have it
cached inside the resolver itself.  We should just clearly document how
this is done and specifically which version is cached).

- Shane