xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Smith <brian-l-sm...@uiowa.edu>
Subject Re: New resolver all checked in
Date Wed, 18 Dec 2002 22:10:36 GMT
Shane Curcuru/CAM/Lotus wrote:
>>(b) The resolver library does not have any special support for resolving
>>the public ID for the DTD for XML catalogs. Thus, if you don't put that
>>DTD in your local personal system-wide catalog, the catalog resolver
>>will attempt to retrieve the DTD from the OASIS website. Again, it is
>>seems very difficult to override this in a client application. Probably
>>the resolver library should include the OASIS XML Catalog DTD inside its
>>own JAR file and resolve this public ID specially.
> Here I'm not so sure.  I'd defer to a larger array of cataloging experts:
> in particular, does this DTD at OASIS change ever/frequently?  If so, we

It is my understanding that any changes to the DTD mean that a new
System ID and Public ID must (should) be assigned. Also, if the DTD
changes "silently" in any way that is semantically significant then the
resolver library would likely no longer work with documents conforming
to the new DTD anyway.

- Brian

View raw message