xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Norman Walsh <...@nwalsh.com>
Subject Re: Need help with backwards incompatible resolver change
Date Fri, 15 Nov 2002 21:18:07 GMT
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

/ Craeg K Strong <cstrong@arielpartners.com> was heard to say:
| Yikes!  I checked out the new xml-commons resolver code and it looks like
| two things tripped me up:

Sigh. I did try to keep things backwards compatible, but I guess I
failed just a bit.

|
| (1) Change in debug messages
|
| old way:   Debug.message(1, "a debug message");
|
| new way:   catalogManager.debug.message(1,"a debug message")

Right. Debug is no longer static, but each manager has a debug field.

| (2) CatalogManager no longer available as a static instance
| of CatalogManager, now its spelled with a small "c" :-p
| old way:  CatalogManager.ignoreMissingProperties(true);
|
| new way:  catalogManager.ignoreMissingProperties(true);

Right. Each catalog now carries a pointer to its manager around with
it.

The former change is mostly a consequence of the latter which was what
I was really trying to fix (i.e. allowing multiple independent managers).

| However, it still doesn't answer the backward compatibility question.
| I guess we have to ask ourselves:

I guess my goal was operational backwards compatibility (which was achievable)
not backwards compatibility with code that extended the resolver classes
(which I don't think is achievable).

| (1) how pervasive is the 1.0 resolver jar?  Since Ant 1.6 is
| not yet released, perhaps we can simply make it work with resolver
| 1.1 and mention in the Ant release notes that it requires a 1.1+
| resolver.jar ?

That'd be nice. Or maybe 1.6 should ship with the 1.0 jar if Ant 1.6
is about to go out the door. I'd like to see evidence that the new
code has been shaken down a little bit before it goes into a product :-)

| Stefan Bodewig wrote:
|> Craeg Strong's patch that added resolver support to Ant worked for
|> almost a week, but now it doesn't anymore 8-(
|> Ant builds happily against the 1.0 release of resolver.jar, but with
|> the current CVS code, this here happens:
|> <http://cvs.apache.org/builds/gump/2002-11-14/dist-ant.html>
|> What is the preferred way to deal with this?  In particular I'd like
|> a
|> solution that will work with both the 1.0 release and the current CVS
|> code 8-)

Short of more radical surgery (to keep some of the old static classes
around and add new ones for the non-static stuff), I can't think of
any solution that will work with both.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

- -- 
Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM    | As charms are nonsense, nonsense is a
XML Standards Architect | charm.--Benjamin Franklin
Web Tech. and Standards |
Sun Microsystems, Inc.  | 
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Processed by Mailcrypt 3.5.7 <http://mailcrypt.sourceforge.net/>

iD8DBQE91WSPOyltUcwYWjsRAqshAKCkIRr7696kB6c4dpd0gT1jh3i/mwCfWkzZ
LXLBa09fJ2W/L64c4XZjh0s=
=XH3n
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Mime
View raw message