xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <shane_curc...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: is there such a thing as a common xml-apis.jar
Date Wed, 06 Nov 2002 20:38:39 GMT
---- Paul Libbrecht <paul@activemath.org> ----
> I think it is immensely important for anyone receiving these APIs to
aware of:
> - the license for each (among others, the, possibly limited, rights
> - cleanly defined authorship and origin

I agree; I thought they were pretty clear in the xml-commons
repository, which is where we store copies of DOM/SAX/JAXP code.

I know that xml-xalan includes the various LICENSE.sax.txt, etc. files
in it's distribution as well; I'm not sure about xml-xerces.

Note that the subject of packaging of .jars was already voted on in
this community and the (fairly) clear decision was to have a single
.jar file, in our case named xml-apis.jar.  And don't worry about DOM
Level 1 - xml-commons has never shipped only that, and I'm pretty sure
all current and recent xml.apache.org projects all use DOM L2.

And I'm certainly not a lawyer, but there is an implementation of the
javax.xml.* packages checked into xml-commons CVS tree with the clear
Apache license in each source file; it was a bunch of Sun committers
who checked them in.  Of course exactly what sorts of public 'official'
releases the ASF can now make of JSR-supported software is a separate question...

- Shane

<eof .sig="'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said,
in a very scornful tone, 'it means just what I
choose it to mean - neither more nor less'"
"Oohayu oyod?!"=gis. />

Do you Yahoo!?
HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now

View raw message