xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: Process for making changes to xml-commons?
Date Thu, 31 Oct 2002 05:24:13 GMT
Many thanks to Norm for the resolver. Yes we do happily
use it at Apache Cocoon and Apache Forrest. Please send
any comments to commons-dev@ if necessary.

We will experiment with the updated resolver in Cocoon head
CVS first and change our code if needed.

I suspect that the resolver may also be used in Jakarta
Avalon Excalibur, but i am not sure.

Shane Curcuru/CAM/Lotus wrote:
> Hmmm - formally, we don't have a detailed strategy.  Active interest in
> xml-commons has still been fairly light, and although I think our
> cataloger is quite nifty, I haven't heard lots of talk of folks using it
> directly (at least not on commons-dev@xml).  I'm pretty sure there aren't
> any direct automated builds that are dependent on your APIs currently
> (i.e. GUMP/forrestt/etc) so that shouldn't be a problem.
> Are your changes backwards compatible?  If so, and you've done due
> dilligence in testing them, then I say check them in.  (Somehow I have the
> feeling that you know what you're doing with the cataloger...  8-)  Let me
> know if you want to work on setting up some automated tests for the
> resolver in the future; I've been hoping one day to be able to integrate
> Xalan's org.apache.qetest testing harness into xml-commons and share it.
> If they aren't backwards compatible, then send a note to the list
> describing the changes and what user-code will have to change to match up
> and wait for responses.  If no-one complains in about a week, check in
> anyways.
> All IMO.
> Hey!  Check out http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/gump/latest/xref.html and
> follow the xml-commons-resolver link to eventually the definition at
> http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/gump/latest/module_xml-cocoon2.html which
> means that someone in xml-cocoon2 land does have a <option.../> dependency
> on the resolver.  Hence if you're making incompatible API changes, you
> should email cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org and ask there for comments.
> - Shane

View raw message