xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From Joseph Kesselman <kesh...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: JAXP 1.2
Date Mon, 16 Sep 2002 16:00:19 GMT
>What is the relation between released JAXP 1.2 [1] and Apache XML
>What is relation between specification and implementation, i.e. commons
vs. xerces and xalan?

Commons is intended to contain standards based elsewhere (DOM, SAX, JAXP,
etc), possibly plus some shared Apache utilities.

Yes, Commons and the implementations should be kept up to date as the
standards evolve -- as time permits, which is true of any Apache project.
If you want it to happen faster, work to get yourself accepted as a
committer and volunteer to help work on that task... but note that these
projects _DO_ need to stay in synch in order to compile cleanly against
each other.

The simplest way to ensure that everything is in synch is to take the
version of Xerces that your version of Xalan was compiled and tested
against; check the Xalan docs for details.

Xalan compiles directly against Commons, and in fact compiles all of
Commons into its xml-stds.jar file. Xerces has been taking a selected
subset of Commons as the content of its xmlParserAPIs.jar file. There's
been some discussion of whether that subsetting is really a net win, but I
don't think a consensus has been reached.

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research / Xalan, plus some past work on Xerces and

View raw message