xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: CatalogResolver with crimson
Date Sat, 18 May 2002 13:18:53 GMT
Shane Curcuru/CAM/Lotus wrote:
> Did you try any other variations on the exact URL for the file?  I think to
> be a legal absolute file: URL you need at least two slashes separating the
> scheme file:// from the path portion (or three, I always forget).

We recently needed to clarify the file: URLs for Cocoon. The changes
are not yet on the website, but here is the snippet ...

-----
File: URLs
    In your sitemaps you may need to refer to some resource that is outside
    the webapp context (e.g. UNIX /foo/bar/this.xsl
    e.g. Windows C:\foo\bar\this.xsl). You need to use the file: convention
    with the following syntax for absolute filesystem pathnames.

   <ul>
   </ul>

    Everything starting with a URI scheme identifer like file:
    or http: is an absolute URI. An absolute file URL is
    <code>file://some.host/some/path/to/file.ext</code>
    ... the host can be omitted, defaulting to localhost, so you can write
    <code>file:///some/path/to/file.ext</code>

    Further information is at RFC2396:
    <link href="http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt">Uniform Resource Identifiers
(URI): Generic Syntax</link>
  </s1>