xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <j...@socialchange.net.au>
Subject Re: Doctypechanger tool for xml-commons
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2002 02:00:30 GMT
Doh.. David's email was sent just after I left for 5 weeks holiday.
Sorry..

Anyway, I'm still keen to house the DoctypeChanger code here at
xml-commons. Judging by mailing list posts, DOCTYPE declarations seem
quite a problematic area of XML interoperability, and the DoctypeChanger
offers a clean, powerful programmatic solution, complementing XML
Catalog's systematic solution. It's also very stable, "finished" code,
feature-complete and hopefully bug-free (with junit tests). More blurb
here:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-apache-general&m=100620781727807&w=2

As for inclusion here at xml-commons: DoctypeChanger is not currently
"being used in multiple other xml.apache.org projects"
(http://xml.apache.org/commons/). Possibly it could be, but I wouldn't
bet on it. It's just not that sort of utility.

So IMHO the charter needs careful changing where it deals with utility
code, to retain the emphasis on stability and reusability, but not limit
"reusability" to mean "reusability within xml.apache.org projects".
There are many, many types of XML-related projects out there in the real
world. Just because a utility isn't needed in the 10 or so projects at
xml.apache.org, doesn't mean it's not a completely general, useful
utility in it's own right. That's the crux: is xml-commons intended to
serve xml.apache.org members when writing *any* XML-related code, or
*only* when they're working on xml.apache.org projects? The former, I
would hope.

What does everyone think?

Violent disapproval notwithstanding, I'll do said "careful changes" to
the charter within the next few days, and maybe we can vote on that.

--Jeff