xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <shane_curc...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: ACTION on 3rd party Jars: REPORT on xml-commons project
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2002 20:20:48 GMT
Here's a brief report on what the xml-commons project has done to
address potential licensing issues brought up recently.

The xml-commons project is a little unusual in that it contains a
variety of different items, including code sourced from several
locations.  Hopefully we've made it obvious to any user which files are
licensed in which way.

The xml-commons project includes:

-- No .jar files: we don't checkin .jar files at all.

-- java/external/src/org/w3c/dom source files and docs from - you
guessed it - the W3C.  These are covered under one of:
    java/external/LICENSE.dom-software.txt
    java/external/LICENSE.dom-documentation.txt
    java/external/README.dom.txt

-- java/external/src/org/xml/sax source files and docs from
megginson.com.  These are covered under one of:
    java/external/LICENSE.sax.txt
    java/external/README.sax.txt

-- All other source files in the xml-commons repository are ASF files
(including the JAXP implementation there) and are covered under:
    LICENSE.txt
    README.txt

-- The top level files and README.html each note this web of licenses
and point to the other applicable licenses, so it should be quite
obvious to users what's what.

Our new 1.0.b1 release today
(see:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-commons-dev&m=101311242318060&w=2)
includes all of these licensing changes, so that any other subprojects
who want to use our xml-apis.jar or our xml-apis-1.0.b2-src.tar.gz file
can get our licenses included automatically (inside the .jar and
.tar.gz that we export).  For one example of how to use these in your
subproject to get DOM/SAX/JAXP support, see xml-xalan/java/build.xml

- Shane
curcuru@apache.org  shane_curcuru@yahoo.com