xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject xml-commons charter -Was: xml-commons-which: new Which utility to replace EnvironmentCheck; Gump update request
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2001 08:37:14 GMT
On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Jeff Turner wrote:
> Wohoo..
>
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 shane_curcuru@us.ibm.com wrote:
> > I've gone ahead and 'bent' the new code rule for xml-commons

OK, it will help to kick-start the xml-commons project anyway :-)
It looks as though this list volume is starting to increase, so
future "new code" additions can be discussed. I gather that
that is what you meant.

Jeff continued:
> Anyone in favour of officially making xml-commons' charter closer to
> jakarta-commons?

What needs to change? Do you see something specific?

Can we replicate and tweak their charter, and add certain bits
from cvs/xml-commons/README.html ? The jakarta-commons
charter has well-numbered items which will help us to discuss
any issues here.

When we have the shell of xdocs in CVS, then we can all help
to flesh them out.

> I have a utility[1] I think would complement Norman
> Walsh's Catalog code..
> --Jeff
> [1]
http://opensource.socialchange.net.au/doctypechanger/latest/apidocs/

We are keen to see both utilities arrive on xml-commons.

I am here to help with documentation and user experience
viewpoint. With a big start from Davanum Srinivas, i managed
to get the Entity Resolver component hooked up as a Cocoon
component, and start the documentation. That is now in the
xml-cocoon2 CVS and made it into the 2.0 release.

Norm's entity resolver and the SocialChange doctypechanger
are both crucial XML tools. Anything that we can do to assist
their uptake is a good thing.

Anyway these topics are for other threads. The first task is to
start getting the charter sorted. That will take a while and should
not hold up any real work.

(Would the next poster please fine-tune the email Subject.)

--David Crossley