xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From Edwin Goei <edwi...@sun.com>
Subject Re: Commons copies of DOM/JAXP/SAX checked into Xalan
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2001 20:50:26 GMT
costinm@covalent.net wrote:

> BTW, I noticed crimson 1.1.3 includes now 1/2 of jaxp in crimson.jar ( and
> xalan is including the other 1/2 ). Previously we had the full jaxp in a
> jar.
>
> I remember we had a discussion about this long time ago, but don't know
> what was the result - one proposal was to have all 'common' files in a
> single jar, and not duplicate sax,dom,jaxp in all projects. The current
> aproach is also good ( have sax,dom,1/2jaxp in parser, 1/2jaxp in
> transformer ).

There was a thread on this some weeks ago on general@xml.apache.org.
The conclusion I came to for crimson and that I would recommend for
xerces and xalan is to put everything in a single jar file and not split
into separate API jar file(s).  This make it simple for users and also
allows using JAXP API via current browser VMs like Netscape 4.7.  The
latest version of crimson is distributed this way -- the jaxp.jar file
containing APIs was removed.

-Edwin