xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From Shane_Curc...@lotus.com
Subject Re: xml-commons JAXP FindFactory class requires JDK 1.2+ to compile?
Date Fri, 15 Jun 2001 13:13:45 GMT
Comment the first: one particular Xalan bug was actually an easy fix, so
this is much lower priority than I thought.

---- you Edwin Goei <edwingo@sun.com> wrote ----
> So who requires compilation with JDK 1.1?  What's wrong with compiling
> with Java 2 and distributing the jar files?

Comment the second: This is open source, remember? We want people to play
with the code, maybe make changes, and recompile on their own.  This will
be a surprise to those who may still be on JDK 1.1.

For xml-commons, all I require is that we put a note in the docs
(somewhere...) that says JDK 1.2 (insert specific version number here) is
required to compile, but it will run on JDK 1.1 (SAX code to be determined
if this is correct).

For xml-xalan, we do have quite a large user base, and I'm not comfortable
requiring JDK 1.1 until we have a vote on the xalan-dev list.  So this will
be an issue when we're ready to integrate the xml-commons 'xml-apis.jar'
into xalan builds.
Note of course this is a pretty minor note, since few people will be
changing or recompiling most of the commons-kind of code, but it's still
important.  And I definitely agree that requiring JDK 1.2 only on compiling
is a pretty easy thing to do (much less important than runtime) - but I
just want to make sure we inform the communities affected clearly and with
time for feedback.  Re: J++ users: well, tough, they'll just have to deal -
most of the time end-users should only need to recompile product code
anyway, so...

Comment the general: Thx Edwin and Costin for suggestions! I'm hoping that
for right now Xalan can just work as-is and we don't have to do a
workaround, since doing extra reflection work or fudging in a compat thing
sound like they're pretty messy solutions for what should be a short-lived
problem (i.e. until we get everyone agreeing to compile on 1.2).  The
FindFactory class is definitely a better idea than earlier versions!

- Shane