xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From Edwin Goei <edwi...@sun.com>
Subject Re: xml-commons JAXP FindFactory class requires JDK 1.2+ to compile?
Date Thu, 14 Jun 2001 20:36:52 GMT
Shane_Curcuru@lotus.com wrote:

> Is this true?  I thought we weren't going to require JDK 1.2+ quite yet.
> I was about to temporarily copy the JAXP stuff into the xml-xalan tree so
> we can short-term use the new code in the xalan build, but I don't want to
> yank xalan developers into the 1.2+ requirement yet.  (Yes, I should help
> working on moving xml-commons integration out, but the rest of life is
> interfering right now)

The JAXP code in javax.xml.* packages runs in JDK 1.1 but requires JDK
1.2 or better to compile.  This allows users to run the code in any JDK
1.1 VM such as the native IE or Netscape Navigator VMs.  Building the
code requires Java 2, but I don't see this as a problem now that Java 2
is available for all major development platforms: unix, Windows, Mac OS
X.

> Is there any simple way to make this also compile on 1.1, perhaps with a
> couple of reflection calls?  Or should I just skip this for now, and update
> to 1.2 later?

It can be done but I would not call it simple.  It took a while to get
that code working the way it was written.

BTW, the latest SAX code has Java 2 runtime dependencies in it which IMO
is worse than a Java 2 compile time dependency.  I ran into that problem
and had to fix the SAX code.  I don't remember if I reported this to
David Megginson.

-Edwin