xerces-xml-commons-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Constabaris <ad...@email.unc.edu>
Subject Catalog Resolver in untrusted environment
Date Tue, 22 Jun 2004 14:55:50 GMT
Well, while we're generating traffic here ...

Is there any call whatsoever for using the catalog resolver in an
unsigned applet (i.e. untrusted, i.e. can't access system properties)
environment?  It seems to make heavy use of system properties, many of
which are forbidden to untrusted applets.

I have bowdlerized some of the code from the 1.1 release in testing to
make most of the SecurityExceptions go away and get basic resolution
working, but I haven't done anything like write tests etc. =)  Of course
I don't want any such 'fixes' to break use in trusted environments.

Failing there being any future in modifying the codebase, is there any
legal issue anyone can think of with someone simply taking the resolver
jar as is and signing it (as long as the copyright notices are
preserved, etc.)?

AC