xerces-j-users mailing list archives

From Stanimir Stamenkov <sta...@myrealbox.com>
Subject Re: [XML Schema] Invalid constraint value error (bug?)
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2006 08:43:52 GMT
/Peter McCracken/:

> I've looked into the issue, and I don't believe this is a bug;
> this behaviour is required by the schema spec.  Looking at the
> Element Declaration Properties Correct section of the Schema Spec
> [1], point 2 states that the "canonical lexical representation"
> of the default value must match the pattern, not just the
> supplied lexical representation.
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/#e-props-correct

I see the point but, still I'm missing: the "canonical lexical
representation" [2]:

> [Definition:]  A canonical lexical representation is a set of
> literals from among the valid set of literals for a datatype such
> that there is a one-to-one mapping between literals in the canonical
> lexical representation and values in the ·value space·.

While the XML Schema Datatypes document has defined such canonical
lexical representation for the built-in types I haven't found a
place where it specifies how the canonical lexical representation
for a user defined datatype is determined or whether it has such one
(as with "MyInteger" in my case). In this regard I'm still unclear
whether Xerces makes over assumption, that the canonical lexical
representation should match the one of the nearest built-in type the
type has been derived from, but still I may be missing something?

[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#dt-canonical-representation

--
Stanimir