xerces-j-users mailing list archives

From Michael Glavassevich <mrgla...@ca.ibm.com>
Subject Re: XMLSerializer Writer Constructor
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2005 21:57:13 GMT
Stephen Kestle <Stephen.Kestle@orionhealth.com> wrote on 07/26/2005
04:20:33 PM:

<snip/>

> Ok - thank you both for your time - I wish I could have just searched
> the archives to pick up the argument for the reasoning behind it.  I
> hope this has been thought provoking for you guys.

If you're looking for the previous discussion on this topic the thread
starts here [1]. It should be noted that both the DOM Level 3 [2] and the
JAXP Transform APIs [3] require that Writers be supported for
serialization. Now that standard APIs exist for XML serialization,
applications should be using them instead of Xerces' internal API, so a
decision on whether or not to deprecate a particular method in
XMLSerializer isn't going to make much difference in the grand scheme of
things. To encourage new applications to use the standard APIs, we may
deprecate [4] the entire org.apache.xml.serialize package in a future
release. The HTML and XHTML serializers are already deprecated.

Thanks.

> Cheers
>
> Stephen

[1]