xerces-j-users mailing list archives

From Stanimir Stamenkov <sta...@myrealbox.com>
Subject Re: XMLSerializer Writer Constructor
Date Mon, 25 Jul 2005 07:35:18 GMT
/Stephen Kestle/:

> Of course it is because Characters should not need to specify encoding,
> but xml IS NOT a character stream - it's an encoded character stream
> [...]

Don't want to spam the list but: XML _is_ a character stream. The
byte encoded representation is for transport means as most data in
the computer world is stored as sequences of bytes. Your sentence
seems to me like: "DOM is not an object, it is an 'encoded' XML stream".

> Please stop the madness - just deprecate it and write a nice javadoc
> explaining why.  You'll probably end up saving 1000s of developer hours
> on that change alone.

You know, I've thought of that many times too, but what if I need to
write to a character buffer and not a byte one? I think it is just
problem of the less experienced developers which doesn't realize
what actually happens when encoding text to a byte stream and in
particular serializing XML.

--
Stanimir