xerces-j-users mailing list archives

From Jan Hackel <jhac...@rz.uni-potsdam.de>
Subject Re: XInclude reference property fixup in Xerces 2.7
Date Mon, 25 Jul 2005 06:48:04 GMT
Hi Michael,

  thanks for the help.

> For Xerces, references property fixup is a no-op. As far as I know,
> neither SAX or DOM have native support for this property, though the DOM
> specification [2] describes how it can be computed. I'm curious about how
> you were expecting to access this information.

Actually I did not think much about how the reference property fixup could be
done by the parser. Though I did not expect it to be a trivial task
implementing such a "higher order" feature, as it requires access to the
schema and manipulation of the whole document tree. I was quite blinded by my
hopes: Reference fixup would be a *great* help for unitizing large documents,
especially those produced in a collaborative but loosly coupled manner.

From your statement I conclude that reference property fixup is a inherently
hard to implement feature for any current XML-parser? Is there actually a
parser that  has the capability to do it?

Regards
Jan Hackel