xerces-j-users mailing list archives

From "David Wall" <d.w...@computer.org>
Subject Re: Validating with XML Schema using local schema files
Date Mon, 09 Aug 2004 19:23:24 GMT
> You should specify your governing schema in an instance document (as
opposed to code):

I don't think that's really the way to go overall since the data can move
and the location of the schema may not always be the same depending on where
the XML data is being validated.  This is especially true in applications in
which the XML data is being sent from one place to another, or in SOAP calls
in which the application that produces the XML data cannot be trusted to
include a reference to the schema that I (as the recipient) should use to
validate it.  The schemas are mine; they do not belong to any application
that produces the data.

I did learn that my syntax was wrong (Thanks George for pointing out that
the targetNamespace value needed to be in front of the name of the schema
file -- that was my oversight).

David