Thanks for the suggestion Brion.

This suggestion will work, but I don’t really want to “modify” the original XML stream

Just kinda surprised that there’s no API in xerces to specify a DTD that I want to validate against

-----Original Message-----
From: Swanson, Brion []
Friday, November 08, 2002 5:48 AM
To: ''
Subject: RE: Validating against a DTD

Hi Henry,

The way I've handled this in the past is to peek at the incoming stream before the parser ever gets a look at it, and insert a DOCTYPE element in the front of the stream.  Note: this may require removing or saving the XML processing instruction and/or any comments that appear before the document element if those items are important to you.