xerces-j-users mailing list archives

From ne...@ca.ibm.com
Subject Re: compatibility / difference between xml-api.jar and xmlParserAPIs.jar
Date Wed, 06 Nov 2002 16:00:11 GMT
Hi Joe and all,

Just a small point to add to your message:  we are a bit out of sync with
Xalan at the moment, actually.  We've gone ahead and improved the
robustness of our JAXP code in terms of handling files--especially when the
filenames contain spaces or non-ASCII characters.  We've actually done this
in two different ways, and I'm not sure we've totally decided which one to
go in.  Once we get that straightened out we'll be sure to approach the
commons folks with the solution we've arrived at and hopefully they'll
adopt the change and we can go back to distributing a proper subset of
xml-apis.

But back to the original question:  If you use the JAXP ...#parse(File)
methods a lot on systems with wacky filenames, you might want to put
xmlParserAPIs.jar on your classpath first.  Otherwise, you're safe with
xml-apis.

HTH,
Neil
Neil Graham
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone:  905-413-3519, T/L 969-3519
E-mail:  neilg@ca.ibm.com

|         |           Joseph           |
|         |           Kesselman/Watson/|
|         |           IBM@IBMUS        |
|         |           11/06/2002 09:34 |
|         |           xerces-j-user    |

  |       To:       xerces-j-user@xml.apache.org
                                                      |
  |       cc:
                                                      |
  |       Subject:  Re: compatibility / difference between xml-api.jar and xmlParserAPIs.jar

The standards jarfile being different: We know.

Xalan takes all of the xml-commons package.
Xerces takes a selected subset of xml-commons.

There shouldn't be any conflicts; you ought to be able to load both (not
helpful but not harmful) or just load Xalan's xml-apis.jar, and have
everything work as intended.

The *right* answer might have been for the xml-commons folks to release
their own official jarfile and for everyone else in Apache to standardize
on that. So far it hasn't happened.