xerces-j-users mailing list archives

From Joseph Kesselman <kesh...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: right-sequencing of child tags in dom
Date Thu, 07 Nov 2002 15:00:40 GMT
... My apologies; I think I misread the question.

If by "right sequence" you mean "to conform with a specific DTD or schema"
-- there's no standard API yet that will help you with this. The DOM
Working Group is still interested in addressing this, but they changed
their approach a while back and I'm not sure what state that effort's
currently in. Xerces has some custom APIs which allow accessing the
schema, but I haven't used them enough to advise you on whether they'd
give you all the information you need.

I agree with the point that automatically reordering would risk breaking
the user's intent. It's probably better to generate a validly-structured
tree in the first place, under the guidance of information retrieved from
the schema, and to provide tools to check validity.

Sometimes the simplest answer is to hard-code knowledge of the specific
document's structure into your application, so the children *have* to be
generated in the right order.