xerces-j-users mailing list archives

From Joseph Kesselman <kesh...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: using XML schemas embedded in other files
Date Fri, 01 Nov 2002 21:13:32 GMT
The suggestion I've seen was that "embedded" schema documents should be
treated just like any other schema -- you'd have to reference them
explicitly via a URI (and possibly an XPath/XPointer in that URI, to
explicitly indicate where the schema starts). That URI might be a relative
URI reference pointing back to the current document, but you'd still need
that statement that this particular element is in fact part of the schema
model for the document that contains it. Of course these schema elements
would also be part of the document's content; conceptually, you'd just
read them twice during validation... and that means the schema for this
document would have to allow for the possibility of a contained schema
fragment.

Note that  schema elements which *aren't* part of the actual model could
live in the same document (assuming the schema permits this); they'd just
be a normal part of the document's content.

I don't know whether any of this would actually be useful, never mind
optimal... but it's one approach to making the concept make sense.

"Come back next week; we're gonna do fractions." -- Tom Lehrer