xerces-j-users mailing list archives

From Eric_Schwarzenb...@Classwell.com
Subject Schema key and unique contraints VERY slow
Date Fri, 15 Nov 2002 02:04:52 GMT

Xerces2 (I'm using the freshly downloaded 2.0.2) seems to be hideously slow
valdiating xs:unique and xs:key constraints. Painfully slow on a human
scale not simply a processor scale...a large document of mine that
specifies a unique id attribute on each element of a certain kind (where we
are talking 10,000 of these elements in a document of about 4 Meg ) goes
from taking a few seconds to validate without these constraints to several
minutes with them. This happens with both SAX and DOM parsing.

I expect there to be some processing cost to using this feature but this is
fairly ridiculous...doing similar checking in my own java code which is
using the parser takes nowhere nearly as long (in fact building indexes on
the entire document along with it takes nowhere nearly as long). Something
would seem to be seriously amiss, unless I'm out to lunch with regard to my
usage...

An example of my usage is something like:

            <xs:unique name="makeElemUnique">
                  <xs:selector xpath=".//myns:elem"/>
                  <xs:field xpath="@id"/>
            </xs:unique>

This is defined within the scope of the root element which can (will)
contain many of these elems at many different levels.

Should I file this as a bug?

Eric