xerces-j-users mailing list archives

From Bob Schloss <rschl...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: XMLSchema for XMLSchema validation
Date Sun, 03 Nov 2002 17:14:22 GMT

Alex,

      Because many of the constraints that an XML Schema must conform to
cannot be expressed in terms of structural or syntactic constraints
expressable in an XML Schema, if you succeed at what you are doing you will
still not know if the input schema you processed is really totally correct.

      There are several programs that do "validation plus extra analysis"
of XML Schemas to determine if they are legal.  One that I have been
involved in creating is the IBM XML Schema Quality Checker, which you can
find at http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/xmlsqc .  These kinds of
programs, because they are not designed to being validation of document
instances during parsing, can do the most expensive checks that validating
parsers like Xerces-J sometimes leave out.

                  Good luck,
                  Bob

XML/XSL Transformational Systems
IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center
Yorktown Heights, New York, USA

                      "Alex

                      Chatziparaskewas"        To:       "Xerces-J-User" <xerces-j-user@xml.apache.org>

                      <chatzi@m64.com>         cc:

                                               Subject:  XMLSchema for XMLSchema validation

                      11/02/2002 08:03

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      xerces-j-user

Hi there

I am trying to validate a XMLSchema for XMLSchema against itself using
xerces 2.2.0. But so far I have not been successful. I tried the 'current'
one from the w3c website first and ended up with errors like to following

[Error] datatypes.xsd:80:45: st-props-correct.4.1: The type definition is
not a valid restriction with repect to the base type 'xs:anySimpleType'.
[Error] datatypes.xsd:80:45: cos-applicable-facets: Facet 'whiteSpace' is
not allowed by this type.
[

I tried another one but it failed as well. Of course I have found the
errata
section to the 'current' XMLSchema normative and I have to confess that I
am
far too lazy to fix everything by myself (success not guaranteed as well
...).

But, of course I can not be the first one who tried this task. There must
be
a valid 'schema' flying around. But where is it?

Regards
Alex