xerces-j-users mailing list archives

From "Swanson, Brion" <Brion.Swan...@westgroup.com>
Subject RE: Stoopid question about XMLSerializer and OutputFormat
Date Wed, 06 Nov 2002 18:52:13 GMT
> Doesn't make much practical difference, and there may be performance
> issues which make assuming one is literal and the other is escaped a
> desirable choice.

After thinking about it for a moment, it occurs to me the quote may be
escaped simply because the Serializes uses the " character to delimit
attribute values, and therefore those may need to be entities, whereas
the ' character is not used in the seralizer for anything except as
content and therefore never needs to be normalized.

Just a thought.

Brion Swanson