xerces-j-users mailing list archives

From Dennis Sosnoski <...@sosnoski.com>
Subject Re: Beginners question continued
Date Wed, 20 Nov 2002 19:39:52 GMT
I agree with Chris that Castor's probably the best choice for this right
now, since you can use it to marshal and unmarshal JavaBean-like objects
directly to and from XML without needing any sort of grammar (DTD or
Schema). It also lets you customize the mappings that shape the XML,
again without needing to actually define a grammar. I've got an article
at
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-bindcastor/index.html
that discusses using Castor this way. JAXB (the current Beta version)
only works with code generation from W3C XML Schema, and is only
licensed for evaluation use in any case.

As Chris said, not really anything to do with Xerces, but since the
question was asked...

  - Dennis

Dennis M. Sosnoski
Enterprise Java, XML, and Web Services Support
http://www.sosnoski.com

Christopher Ebert wrote:

>	Hi,
>
>	Have you looked at Castor? It will create code to serialize/deserialize -- I don't know,
it might be persuaded to produce Schema for the resulting XML as well. Generally, the problem
is one of 'binding'; there are a number of tools that do this. I think JAXB does DTDs and
might be what you're looking for.

>	I guess this isn't really a 'Xerces' specific question, so that might explain why nobody
was responding. I'm sure there's a more appropriate list, but I don't know what it is... :)