xerces-j-users mailing list archives

From Bil Mason <Bil.Ma...@healthcare.com>
Subject RE: displaying output from non-GUI Xerces applet
Date Wed, 30 May 2001 16:43:48 GMT
You should be able to do this.  The steps are:

1) call getAppletContext to get an AppletContext class

2) call the showDocument(URL url, String target) method on the context

You must create a URL object from intended link and provide a frame name as
the target parameter.  You can use "_parent", "_top", etc. for the target
parameter.

I have attempted to enclose a zip with an example but I don't know if it
will make it through the poster.

The example creates a simple framed document with an applet in one frame.
Click the button in the applet and http://www.yahoo.com shows up in the
other frame.

Note, you can also redirect the whole web page by omitting the target
parameter.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron W Gilmour [mailto:gilmr@lycos.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2001 9:38 AM
To: FosterA1@telkom.co.za; xerces-j-user@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: displaying output from non-GUI Xerces applet

Andreas--
Yes, a friend suggested the same thing to me, but I'm afraid I'm stuck on an
academic server running Java 1.2, so I don't think I can do a servelet.
The XML file is in the same directory as the applet classes.  I've done
examples before in which I have parsed an XML file with an applet, then
displayed the results within the applet (see
http://www.albany.edu/~gilmr/Roy/roysearch.html).  What I want to do now is
just display the results in normal HTML on the web page.
Is there an applet security limitation that prevents the display of
applet-derived data outside of the applet?

Ron

--

On Wed, 30 May 2001 09:10:41
 Andrea Foster wrote:
>Hi
>
>I'm curious. Why an applet? Where is the xml file? Is it the same or
>different location from where the applet is being run? Reason I ask is
>if your bibliography is sitting on a web server and your applet is being
>run in a browser accessing that server then why aren't you using a
>servlet?
>Parsing xml in servlets and displaying their html output in browsers
>has been done a lot and there is a lot of of example code from several
>sources. Additionally doing processing server side doesn't hit up
>against the security issues applets have....
>
>Just a thought.

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!

The information contained in this message and any attachments is
intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is
addressed, and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL
and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you have received
this message in error, you are prohibited from copying, distributing, or
using the information.  Please contact the sender immediately by return
e-mail and delete the original message from your system.
===================== End Confidentiality Statement =====================