xerces-j-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Glavassevich <mrgla...@ca.ibm.com>
Subject Re: GSoC Update
Date Thu, 06 Aug 2009 03:35:50 GMT

Hi Richard,

Richard Kelly <rakkie@gmail.com> wrote on 08/01/2009 09:05:34 AM:

> Hi again,
>
> First of all, apologies for the late update, my new semester has
> started here and it's been quite busy.

No worries. University was still recent enough that I can still remember
how crazy busy it can get.

> However I've still been working away on my code and I think the
> functionality is mostly complete at
> this stage,  but I still have some bugs to fix and a lot of testing to
do.

> I have a few more questions:
>
> I've added some code to normalize() functions in various Node
> subclasses.  Do I need to generate a new
> serialization version for these classes (I didn't change any data
> members)?  If so, how do i do that?

I assume this is for normalizing the characters in text nodes if the
"normalize-characters" parameter is set to true. I expect that would only
mutate the values of existing fields. We've been trying to keep DOM
serialization compatible with earlier releases. Changing the values of
serialVersionUIDs would bust that. Some users actually depend on this so
need to be careful with the changes we make, but since you said "I didn't
change any data members" it sounds like your changes are safe.

> Another question I had that I want to find out the name of the element
> currently being processed.  Is there
> a generic way to get this information from within the pipeline or do I
> need to keep track of the current
> element within my component?

Aside from the startElement(), emptyElement() and endElement() methods on
XMLDocumentHandler there isn't anything else. If you need to keep track of
where you are in between these events, pushing (in startElement()) and
popping (in endElement()) the names on a stack works well.