xerces-j-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Goodhand <m...@goodhand.ca>
Subject Making Xerces DOM thread-safe for read
Date Sat, 08 Dec 2007 17:32:33 GMT
All,

I understand that DOM provides no thread safety guarantees, and that
the current Xerces implementation is not thread safe.  I've seen the
issue come up on the lists a few times over the past couple of
years.  As future hardware improvements are likely to come in the
form of more cores rather than higher clock speeds, and with XML
documents getting larger, I expect user requests for thread-safety
(at least for unchanging documents) will only increase.

As I understand it, it is performance-improving caches that prevent
Xerces DOM from being thread-safe (for read).  If true, this is
ironic, considering the massive performance benefits that could come
from parallel processing of documents.

Is the current stance a matter of principle (you don't believe the
Xerces DOM should ever be made thread-safe for read) or a practical
constraint due to limited resources (you'd like the Xerces DOM to be
thread-safe, but other issues/enhancements have higher priority)?

Regards,

Mark.