xerces-j-dev mailing list archives

From Claus Wahlers <cl...@codeazur.com.br>
Subject Xerces-AS3 port
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2007 21:20:12 GMT
Hi list,

i just recently subscribed to this list and am unsure if this is the
right place for my post. Please disregard and/or send me to the right
person/list in case it's not, thanks.

I am in progress of porting Xerces-J 2.9 to Actionscript 3 (AS3). AS3 is
an EcmaScript 4 implementation, currently used in Adobe Flash Player 9.
The AS3-VM was recently opensourced by Adobe and officially released as
Mozilla project under the codename "Tamarin" [1].

The port is work in progress and far from being complete (so far, DOM3
Core is about 75% done), but if you like you can already take a peek at
the sources [2].

I am the technical lead of the DENG Modular XML Browser project [3]
which is targeted at Flash Player 6 and written in the very ES3-like
Actionscript 1 dialect. I am currently rearchitecting DENG to target the
Flash Player 9 VM to take advantage of the much faster new VM (amongst
other reasons). I found Xerces-J to be very lightweight and easy to port
to AS3 so i picked it to serve as the core engine. The Flash Player
already provides two separate APIs for parsing XML (a DOM-like but very
limited API, and E4X) but both are not extensible and do not provide
functionality needed for DENG (such as DOM Events etc).

I would like to know if what i'm doing is generally ok with you, and if
it would be feasible in mid term (or at all) to add the port as an
'official' Xerces project (Xerces-AS3?). I haven't got the slightest
idea what the formal steps would be, so pointers in the right direction
would be highly apprechiated.

Thanks,
Claus.

[1] http://www.mozilla.org/projects/tamarin/