xerces-j-dev mailing list archives

From "Rick Bullotta" <rick.bullo...@lighthammer.com>
Subject RE: Correct use of DocumentBuilderFactory & DocumentBuilder : Multithreaded application
Date Tue, 14 Sep 2004 01:09:36 GMT
I'll be interested in the responses.  We've found significant issues with
the factory and build creation as a result of custom classloaders in some
servlet engines when using Xalan.  One immediate performance boost was to
set the appropriate system properties so that the factories use Xerces
explicitly rather than searching for resources in jar files and .properties
files on disk each time a builder is created.

Rick Bullotta
CTO
Lighthammer Software (http://www.lighthammer.com)

-----Original Message-----
From: Vikrant sutar [mailto:vikrantsutarm@yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2004 8:00 PM
To: xerces-j-user@xml.apache.org; xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org
Subject: Correct use of DocumentBuilderFactory & DocumentBuilder :
Multithreaded application

Hi All,

I have a query related to application implementation.
We have an application where we load 3 schemas into
memory. Now we want to validate 3 different kinds of
xmls at run time with appropriate XML Schema.
In short our application is multithreaded application.

Currently for each request we create NEW instances of
DocumentBuilderFactory and DocumentBuilder:

DocumentBuilderFactory.newInstance();
DocumentBuilder builder =
factory.newDocumentBuilder();

Document document = builder.parse(xml String);

With All Schema's cached as a File objects in
Singleton class.

My question to all of you is:

Is it absolutely required to create an instances of
"DocumentBuilderFactory and DocumentBuilder" for each
request? [as it is performance hit]

Is there any way we can create application-wide, 3
instances of DocumentBuilder ,initially and re-use
them for all further validation requests for "xml
String" ?

I guess even synchronization can be performance hit.

Please advise me.

Thanks a lot for your help /Vikrant