xerces-j-dev mailing list archives

From Vikrant sutar <vikrantsut...@yahoo.com>
Subject Correct use of DocumentBuilderFactory & DocumentBuilder : Multithreaded application
Date Tue, 14 Sep 2004 00:00:22 GMT
Hi All,

I have a query related to application implementation.
We have an application where we load 3 schemas into
memory. Now we want to validate 3 different kinds of
xmls at run time with appropriate XML Schema.
In short our application is multithreaded application.

Currently for each request we create NEW instances of
DocumentBuilderFactory and DocumentBuilder:

DocumentBuilderFactory.newInstance();
DocumentBuilder builder =
factory.newDocumentBuilder();

Document document = builder.parse(xml String);

With All Schema's cached as a File objects in
Singleton class.

My question to all of you is:

Is it absolutely required to create an instances of
"DocumentBuilderFactory and DocumentBuilder" for each
request? [as it is performance hit]

Is there any way we can create application-wide, 3
instances of DocumentBuilder ,initially and re-use
them for all further validation requests for "xml
String" ?

I guess even synchronization can be performance hit.

Please advise me.

Thanks a lot for your help /Vikrant