xerces-j-dev mailing list archives

From Neeraj Bajaj <Neeraj.Ba...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Moving towards common serialization code...
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:53:13 GMT
Hello Elena,

Sorry for the late response on this. I support the overall idea of
moving towards comon serialization code. I have few questions though.
Where the code would reside and in what package ? You have expressed the
desire of putting common code in xml-commons but you have said that
Xalan serializer would become the main code base. Is the plan to put
that code in xml-commons ?

Please read more inline..

Elena Litani wrote:

> We've compared the HTML and XHTML serializers and found that Xalan's
> serializers have better performance and conformance to the HTML
> specification.

That's good :-)

>Therefore, as a first step, we would like to deprecate the
> HTML and XHTML serializers in Xerces. To migrate, users should start using
> the JAXP Transformation API, for example
> // Create an "identity" transformer - copies input to output
> Transformer t = TransformerFactory.newInstance().newTransformer();
>
> // for "XHTML" serialization, use the output method "xml"
> // and set publicId as shown
>  t.setOutputProperty(OutputKeys.METHOD, "xml");
>  t.setOutputProperty(OutputKeys.DOCTYPE_PUBLIC,
>  "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN");
>  t.setOutputProperty(OutputKeys.DOCTYPE_SYSTEM,
>                     "
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd");
>
> // For "HTML" serialization, use
> t.setOutputProperty(OutputKeys.METHOD, "html");
>
> // Serialize DOM tree
>  t.transform(new DOMSource(doc), new StreamResult(System.out));
>
> Currently, we are investigating what it would take for us to deprecate
> Xerces' XMLSerializer, since our serializer provides a DOM Level 3
> implementation and Xalan's serializer does not have this functionality.

I would like to more here, since XMLSerializer has DOM L3 LS
functionality. Would this class also move to Xalan ? Who would maintain
this class ? Xalan/Xerces committers ?

> In general, as JAXP 1.3 comes out users should not be using Xerces or Xalan
> serialization code directly. Instead, the JAXP Transformer API should be
> used to serialize HTML, XHTML, and the SAX and DOM Level 3 API should be
> used to serialize DOM.

Well, To serialize above mentioned document types, users can still use
JAXP 1.2 until JAXP 1.3 comes out :-) Though JAXP 1.3 is not final yet,
but JAXP 1.3 apis will be perfectly backward compatible with JAXP 1.2

Thanks,
Neeraj