xerces-j-dev mailing list archives

From Elliotte Rusty Harold <elh...@metalab.unc.edu>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT]: Xerces-J 2.6.0 now available
Date Sun, 23 Nov 2003 19:05:50 GMT
At 10:41 AM -0800 11/23/03, Andy Clark wrote:

>I think you're being a little melodramatic, Elliotte. ;)
>
>As Michael stated, there is an easy mechanism to override
>which parser configuration is used in Xerces by default.
>And this would affect all Xerces instances in the JVM (or
>custom class-loaded sandbox, if you want to use this
>mechanism more than once in the same JVM), including the
>parser instances created with JAXP.

I have figured out how to do this. Thanks. However, I would not
classify it as easy. It took several hours of wading through the
Xerces source tree and experimentation to get it to work. Easy would
be parser.setFeature("http://apache.org/xml/features/allow-XML1.1",
false).

A feature based solution would also make me feel more confident that
this solution would continue to work in the future. Right now my code
depends on about a dozen different protected and public methods in
XNI, as well as suppositions about how, when, and why the
XML11Configuration.parse(boolean complete)  method is called, and
which methods it should call in which order. I'm worried that some of
this might change in the future in incompatible ways.  I prefer
working with pure SAX. Delving this deep into parser internals makes
me very nervous.
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu