xerces-j-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How are validity exceptions being reported?
Date Mon, 19 May 2003 14:32:58 GMT
Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
> I've noticed that when I put Xerces in validating mode, it does not call
> my registered SAX ErrorHandler. Instead it throws a fatal
> ParseException. The same program runs fine when I use Crimson instead.
> Is this a known problem?

Without seeing the document in question, it's hard to say.

> Also, in a perhaps related issue, when I feed Xerces a namespace
> malformed document (while not validating) it not only throws a
> ParseException (which I want it to do) it prints a message on
> System.err, which I don't want it to do. Is there any chance of getting
> this fixed? I want control over error messages from my own program. I do
> not want the a library printing *anything* on System.err unless I tell
> it to. Again, is this a known issue?

I wouldn't call it an "issue". I made this change from the
beginning with Xerces2 because of the amount of errant bug
reports we received. People would constantly report that
Xerces wasn't validating because they didn't see any error
messages printed on the output.

You can override this behavior by setting a "null" error
reporter on the parser if you want errors to be silently
ignored. Setting your own non-null error reporter also
works. Or are you experiencing that it doesn't? In which
case, we may have something to look into.

--
Andy Clark * andyc@apache.org