xerces-j-dev mailing list archives

From Glenn Marcy <gma...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Patch for 17294
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2003 13:46:52 GMT
Neeraj and Venu,

I am happy to see someone looking into making these changes.
However, I am concerned that you are changing the error
messages to reverse the normal ordering of their arguments.

In particular:

-        InvalidCharInAttValue = An invalid XML character
 (Unicode: 0x{2}) was found in the value of attribute \"{1}\".
+        InvalidCharInAttValue = An invalid XML character
 (Unicode: 0x{0}) was found in the value of attribute \"{1}\"
 and the element is \"{2}\".

As I mentioned in my Bugzilla comments, all element errors
have the element name as the {0} parameter, and all attribute
errors have the element name as the {0} parameter and the
attribute name as the {1} parameter.  Any *additional*
parameters occur after these.

The whole point of positional parameters in the message
formatting is so that the order of the parameters in the
call to report the error does not have to match the order
in a localized message for that error.  The original order
in the InvalidCharInAttValue message has always been
correct and should not have been changed.

Please change all of the call sites to preserve the order
that is intended.

Best Regards,
Glenn