xerces-j-dev mailing list archives

From Arno Schatz <l...@arnoschatz.de>
Subject User Data
Date Mon, 07 Apr 2003 11:13:47 GMT
Hi,

I like the api of the user data stuff and UserDataHandler. Unfortunately, the
implementation is using too much memory per entry (and I want it to be faster), so I want

to change the implementation. All I would need for this, is to override the method
CoreDocumentImpl.callUserDataHandlers. Is there a reason it is not 'protected' or can it
be changed?

Also, I realised, that the inner class 'CoreDocumentImpl.UserDataRecord' is not static
altough it does not access its outer class. Potentially there is one UserDataRecord per
node, so making it static could easily safe some memory (and time). Making it static and
protected would enable others to reuse it.

I don't know if there is a general policy on what will be made 'protected' and what not,
but what I really like about Xerces is that a lot of stuff is protected and I don't get
stuck implementing some features.

thanks,
   Arno