xerces-j-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>
Subject Re: integrating grammar preparsing with the grammar caching API
Date Wed, 10 Apr 2002 10:06:33 GMT
sandygao@ca.ibm.com wrote:
> We are talking about public interface here, right? Are you saying that the
> user should call DTDGrammar.loadGrammar() or SchemaGrammar.loadGrammar()
> directly (where the two classes are down inside xerces.impl package). Isn't
> a software package supposed to be divided into interface and
> implementation, and the user should only interact with the interface part?

I'm trying to say that it's probably not a good idea to define
interfaces for how DTD grammars and, by corollary, validators
(because their implementation is inherently linked to how the
grammar is implemented) should be implemented. And this applies
to XML Schema grammars and validators, as well.

Putting the implementation details of loading grammars on the
grammar classes themselves is no big deal. I'm thinking that we
will have an interface in the xni.grammars package that abstracts
the way that grammars are loaded. But the implementation of this
interface still needs to be able to do the loading somehow.

I have some specifics to add to the conversation but I'll post
them in another response.

--
Andy Clark * andyc@apache.org