xerces-j-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Pronunciation
Date Fri, 01 Sep 2000 18:04:32 GMT
mike.pogue@bevocal.com wrote:
> It was chosen by looking up interesting words in the dictionary, and
> then running them through a name check, to see if they collided with
> a name already in use.  We wanted to avoid any potential conflict
> with existing names for software.

I was there during the naming process. It was exhausting because
we wanted something cool, perhaps with an 'X' somewhere in the name,
and (of course) one that wasn't already taken for something else.

At first we tried a bunch of random names and then settled into a
series of themes, one of which was butterflies. Doing a search of
various butterflies, we came across the "Xerces Blue" butterfly.
We dropped the "Blue" and there you have it!

I wasn't aware that the http://www.xerces.org/ web site had a
pronunciation. I've always called it "zer-sees", though, which
is very close to the actual pronuncation of "zuhr-sees".

--
Andy Clark * IBM, JTC - Silicon Valley * andyc@apache.org