xerces-general mailing list archives

From "Sean Kelly" <ke...@ad1440.net>
Subject Re: Question about document type nodes and JAXP
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2000 17:36:57 GMT
> Because there doesn't seem to be any way to specify a bootstrap
> mechanism which is platform and language independent the DOM spec
> doesn't define any. :-(
> I've made a proposal to fix this at least for Java in DOM Level 3. In
> the meantime, you have to use some "proprietary" call.

Blech.  Are static methods allowed in the DOM specification (and are
they language independent)?  I'd love to see a singleton or static
factory class that yields useful objects like a Document or the
DOMImplementation.

Care to shed some light on your proposal for Level 3?

> You may as well simply do the following:
>
> DOMImplementation impl =
> org.apache.xerces.dom.DOMImplementationImpl.getDOMImplementation();

Yeah ... I just felt more comfortable using as much DOM as
possible---so sneaking in a call to create a DocumentImpl and using
getImplementation was somehow less onerous than getting the Xerces DOM
implementation directly.  I don't know how, but it is.  :-)

> I wish JAXP addressed this problem but it doesn't either. :-(

Thanks a lot, W3C! :-(

> Arnaud  Le Hors - IBM Cupertino, XML Technology Group

Haven't you found a new job yet?  :-)

Take care.
--Sean