xerces-c-users mailing list archives

From "Daniel Burrell" <daniel.burr...@gmail.com>
Subject errir LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2008 22:03:49 GMT
Hello,

I am currently using VC8 to compile xerces, I have added a project called
Tasks to the solution with a single file containing main() called
analysefile.cpp.
It is my intention to mess around with xerces in this file.

I'm following the programming guide, and have got stuck at the first stage.
Please take a look at the following screenshot which outlines my setup:

http://www.solong.co.uk/bugs/unresolved.jpg

After having copied and pasted code from the first window of
http://xerces.apache.org/xerces-c/program.html
I can't get my Tasks project to compile due to the following errors.
Since

Error    2    error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
"__declspec(dllimport) public: static void __cdecl
xercesc_2_8::XMLPlatformUtils::Terminate(void)"
(__imp_?Terminate@XMLPlatformUtils@xercesc_2_8@@SAXXZ) referenced in
function __catch$_main$0    analysefile.obj    Tasks
Error    3    error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
"__declspec(dllimport) public: static void __cdecl
xercesc_2_8::XMLPlatformUtils::Initialize(char const * const,char const *
const,class xercesc_2_8::PanicHandler * const,class
xercesc_2_8::MemoryManager * const,bool)"
(__imp_?Initialize@XMLPlatformUtils@xercesc_2_8@@SAXQBD0QAVPanicHandler@2
@QAVMemoryManager@2@_N@Z) referenced in function _main    analysefile.obj
Tasks
Error    4    error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
"__declspec(dllimport) public: static char const * const
xercesc_2_8::XMLUni::fgXercescDefaultLocale"
(__imp_?fgXercescDefaultLocale@XMLUni@xercesc_2_8@@2QBDB)
analysefile.obj    Tasks
Error    5    fatal error LNK1120: 3 unresolved externals
D:\workspaces\test\xerces-c-src_2_8_0\Projects\Win32\VC8\xerces-all\Debug\Tasks.exe
Tasks

Surely it should still compile at this stage? I'm at a loss as to how to
resolve this. Any help much appreciated.

It should be noted however that the following code will compile:

#include <xercesc/util/PlatformUtils.hpp>
// Other include files, declarations, and non-Xerces-C++ initializations.
XERCES_CPP_NAMESPACE_USE
int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
  /*  ALL THIS CODE COMMENTED OUT
    try {
        XMLPlatformUtils::Initialize();
    }
    catch (const XMLException& toCatch) {
        // Do your failure processing here
        return 1;
    }

    // Do your actual work with Xerces-C++ here.
    XMLPlatformUtils::Terminate();
    AND STOP HERE
    */
    // Other terminations and cleanup.
    return 0;
}

clearly it's something to do with the mention of XMLPlatformUtils::

Kind Regards

Dan