xerces-c-dev mailing list archives

From "Jesse Pelton" <...@PKC.com>
Subject RE: URI format in noNamespaceSchema location
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2007 12:51:22 GMT
Hmm.  I don't think either is correct.  According to RFC 1738, the
syntax for a file: URI is file://<host>/<path>.  (RFC 1738 is obsolete,
but neither 2396 nor 3986 provides any specific guidance on the file:
scheme, and I don't think they contradict 1738.)  Since the only path
separator allowed for URIs is a forward slash, backslashes in Windows
paths should be turned into forward slashes.

If I'm correct in my interpretation, the canonical URI for the file
system path "C:\foo.xsd" is "file://localhost/C:/foo.xsd".  Since <host>
will generally be assumed to be "localhost" if omitted, it's probably
safe to use the short form "file:///C:/foo.xsd".

Since there's a lot of confusion and ambiguity about file: URIs, I
tested both forms above with Firefox 2 and IE 7.  Both forms worked in
both browsers.  However, this is not definitive; both browsers also
accepted the forms with backslashes, though Firefox transformed the
address into the above short form.  Whatever form you use, IE turns it
into a local path ("C:\foo.xsd"), which clearly is not a URI.

-----Original Message-----
From: news [mailto:news@sea.gmane.org] On Behalf Of Boris Kolpackov
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2007 4:29 PM
To: c-dev@xerces.apache.org
Subject: URI format in noNamespaceSchema location

Hi,

It was reported on the xsd-users mailing that Xerces-C++ on
Windows does not like the noNamespaceSchema attribute value
in the form: "file://C:\foo.xsd". The strange thing is that
it accepts "file:/C:\foo.xsd" (without second /). I think
double slash is the correct format. Can somebody explain
what's going on or should I file a bug report?

thanks,
-boris

--
Boris Kolpackov