xerces-c-dev mailing list archives

From Gareth Reakes <parthe...@parthenoncomputing.com>
Subject Re: DOMWriter Questions
Date Wed, 07 Apr 2004 19:16:53 GMT
Hi,

> DOMImplementation *impl =
> DOMImplementationRegistry::getDOMImplementation(XMLString::transcode("Core"));

It specifies a specific implementation to use. For example Core or
Load/Save. Take a look at the specs a tutorial or the docs for more info

http://xml.apache.org/xerces-c/apiDocs/classDOMImplementationRegistry.html

> 2. What does XMLString::transcode("...") do, and why
> is it needed?

It converts from a string to the internal xerces format which supports
UTF16. Again, take a look at the docs for more info

http://xml.apache.org/xerces-c/apiDocs/classXMLString.html#z985_14

> 3. What is the advantage of creating your own XML
> document using the Xerces CreateDocument API versus
> just encoding the XML string manually?  I'm new to
> XML, and to be honest, I don't quite see the advantage
> of creating your own document.  It seems much easier
> to encode the string manually.  In both cases, you
> would need to know the structure of the tree.

If I follow you correctly here then I think you are suggesting just
building a string up that is XML. If this is the case then you would not
be able to call any of the methods that DOm supports on this string. It
would be hard to ensure the XML is well formed and very hard to manipulate
it.

Gareth

--
Gareth Reakes, Managing Director            +44-1865-811184
Parthenon Computing                http://www.parthcomp.com