xerces-c-dev mailing list archives

From "Adam Heinz" <AHe...@exstream.com>
Subject RE: String handling best practice
Date Fri, 30 Apr 2004 14:48:20 GMT
Although XMLCh is UTF-16, I believe the transcoding routines make a point of escaping reserved
characters like "<" to "&lt;", so the two string formats you mention are not interchangeable.

Adam Heinz
Senior Software Developer
Exstream Software

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Morgan [mailto:blumf@blueyonder.co.uk]
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2004 9:41 AM
To: xerces-c-dev@xml.apache.org
Subject: String handling best practice

I'm about to start work on a application using Xerces. The problem is, I
don't know how best to go about handling strings. Should I use the
XMLString class or would I be better off using ICU's UnicodeString?

If I do use ICU's classes can I work on the assumtion that XMLCh* equals
UChar* (They're both UTF-16) and just pass them straight on to Xerces
API functions (what about win32 WCHAR* too?).

It all sounds like some kind of FAQ, but I can't find any definitive
answer with regards to Xerces.

Scott Morgan