xerces-c-dev mailing list archives

From "Adam Heinz" <AHe...@exstream.com>
Subject RE: transcoding crash on mac
Date Fri, 09 Apr 2004 18:05:59 GMT
That's an interesting observation, as my plug-in project does not use __start as its main entry
point, instead using a symbol defined by the plug-in owner.

-----Original Message-----
From: James Berry [mailto:james@jberry.us]
Sent: Friday, April 09, 2004 11:34 AM
To: xerces-c-dev@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: transcoding crash on mac

On Apr 9, 2004, at 9:17 AM, Adam Heinz wrote:

> Oops, I guess I did send this in about a month ago.  At least I now
> know the duration of my long term "memory".  :)
>
> What do you mean by "static construction"?  I am building Xerces as a
> statically linked library, but I've used it that way for months before
> I introduced this bug.

Static construction refers to the runtime-triggered construction of C++
objects that are of global scope. Generally this is invoked by the same
startup code that later invokes main(). On CodeWarrior that would
generally be the chunk of code called __start, which should be set in
your PPC linker panel in the field labeled main:

Since the memory manager passed to transcode at your point of failure
is one that is global, my thinking was that your crash could be
triggered if this object was not properly constructed (or not yet
constructed) at the time of your call, due perhaps to the fact that
static construction hadn't occurred.

James.