xerces-c-dev mailing list archives

From Carl_Erh...@hyperion.com
Subject Re: XercesDef.hpp
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2001 17:54:55 GMT

Maureen,

It's possible that you have been bit by the dreaded GNUtar bug ;-)

The tar files are created with GNU tar, which is not compatible with
the various native tar programs supplied with UNIX systems. In order
to correctly un-tar  the distribution files, you _MUST_ use GNU tar,
not the local versions installed by the OS.

This is one of the first questions in the Xerces FAQ list, but almost
no-one reads it. I also found this problem and complained about it
over a year ago, and found that it was addressed in the FAQ.

Grab GNU tar from any GNU mirror site, or freeware site that handles
your OS. Then just untar the file again, and it will fix all the problems.

This problem occurs because there is no standard on how to handle
very long paths in the tar format. Gnu does it one way, and almost
every other OS does something different. Since GNU is available for
every system, it was a good compromise that works everywhere.

Now if we could just get people to read the FAQ....

All the best,
--Carl

"Altenau, Maureen D CECOM RDEC C2D"
<Maureen.Altenau@mail1.monmouth.army.mil> on 10/03/2001 12:57:52 PM